Click here for the pdf version.
Ş. Nuray Akın (Duran)
Nişantepe Mah. Orman Sok.
+90 (505) 583-1078 firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Interests: Macroeconomics, Labor Economics, International Macroeconomics, Risk and Insurance.
Sub-specialties: Search Theory, Dynamic General Equilibrium Models, Social Insurance and Risk-sharing, Price and Wage Formation, Immigration.
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA.
Ph.D. in Economics, 2006; M.A. in Economics, 2005.
Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey.
M.A. in Economics, 2001; B.A. in Economics, 1998.
Academic director of MBA programs, Özyeğin University, School of Business, Istanbul, Turkey, May 2018-present.
Associate Professor of Economics, Özyeğin University, School of Business, Istanbul, Turkey, November 2017-present.
Assistant Professor of Economics, Özyeğin University, School of Business, Istanbul, Turkey, August 2015-October 2017.
Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance and Business Economics, University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business, CA, USA, 2013-2015.
Consultant, Global Macroeconomics Research Team, Development Prospects Group, The World Bank, Washington DC, USA, April 2014-September 2014.
Assistant Professor of Economics, University of Miami, FL, USA, 2006-2013.
Visiting Scholar, Research Department, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, MN, USA, Fall 2011.
Visiting Researcher, Institute for the Study of Labor Markets (IZA), Bonn, Germany, Spring 2006.
Researcher, IPUMS-International, Minnesota Population Center, University of Minnesota, MN, USA, 2005-2006.
Graduate Instructor, Department of Economics, University of Minnesota, MN, USA, 2002-2004.
1. “The n-person Kalai-Smorodinsky bargaining solution under manipulation,” (with B. Platt and M. Sertel), Review of Economic Design, Vol. 15, p. 147-162, 2011.
2. “Running out of time: Limited unemployment benefits and reservation wages,” (with B. Platt), Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 15, p. 149-170, 2012.
3. “Immigration, fiscal policy, and welfare in an aging population,” The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics (Advances), Vol. 12, Article 23, 2012.
4. “Rushing to overpay: Modeling and measuring the REIT premium,” (with V. Lambson, G. McQueen, B. Slade, B. Platt, and J. Wood), Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics , Vol. 47, p. 506-537, 2013.
5. “Insurance, consumer search, and equilibrium price distributions,” (with B. Platt), Journal of Risk and Insurance, Vol. 81, p. 397-429, 2014.
6. “A theory of search with deadlines and uncertain recall,” (with B. Platt), Economic Theory, Vol. 55, p. 101-133, 2014.
7. “Risk-sharing within families: Evidence from the Health and Retirement Study,” (with O. Leukhina), Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol. 52, p. 270-284, 2015.
8. “Accounting for age in marital search decisions,” (with B. Platt), European Economic Review, Vol. 85, p. 245-271, 2016.
1. “Searching on a deadline,” (with B. Platt), under review at American Economic Journal: Microeconomics.
2. “A search model of fire sales,” (with B. Platt), under revision.
3. “The Chinese savings rate.”
4. “Estimation and comparison of output gaps,” (with A. Köse and F. Ohnsorge), under revision for The World Bank Economic Review.
1. “Game Theory: A non-technical introduction to the analysis of strategy,” by McCain, South-Western, 2010.
2. “Macroeconomic Theory,” by Hubbard, O'Brien, and Rafferty, Pearson Prentice-Hall, 2011.
3. “Macroeconomics: Policy and practice,” by Mishkin, Pearson Prentice-Hall, 2012.
Risks, Editorial Board Member.
Journal of Economic Theory, International Economic Review, Review of Economic Design, International Game Theory Review, Journal of International Economics, Review of Economic Dynamics, Economic Theory, B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, Journal of Public Economics, Risks, Journal of Risk and Insurance, Risks, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
MEMBERSHIPS IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
The American Economic AssociationThe Econometric Society
The Minnesota Population Center
The Society for Economic Dynamics
The Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory
The Econometric Society
HONORS AND AWARDS
2016-2018: TUBITAK Research Grant 2232; Project Title: "The effects of recent immigrants on the Turkish economy and some advanced EU economies"
2015-2016: Young Scientist Award, Science Academy, Turkey.
2013-2014: Dean's Recognition for Excellence in Teaching Macroeconomics for Business and International Trade, Marshall School of Business, USC.
2007-2009: MacLamore Summer Research Grant, University of Miami.
2005-2006: Research Grant, Center for German and European Studies, University of Minnesota.
IZA fellow (Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit), Bonn, Germany.
Graduate School Block Grant, University of Minnesota.
2003-2005: Distinguished Instructor, Department of Economics, University of Minnesota (4 times).
2001-2002: Graduate School Fellowship, University of Minnesota.
1994-1998: Scholarship of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Turkey.
SEMINARS, SHORT VISITS, AND CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
2016: The Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (Rio), Econometric Society European Meetings (Geneva), All-Istanbul Workshop in Economics.
2015: Özyeğin Üniversitesi, Koç Üniversitesi, TOBB-ETÜ, T.C. Merkez Bankası, İstanbul Teknik Üniversitesi, American Economic Association Meetings (Boston).
2014: The World Bank Group, Midwest Macro Meetings, Econometric Society Meetings, Moody’s Corporation.
2013: Workshop on Consumer Search (Moscow), Midwest Macro Meetings, USC.
2012: Midwest Macro Meetings, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Society for Economic Dynamics, GAMES, Moody's Corporation, University of Washington in Seattle.
2011: American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association Mid-year Meetings, Midwest Macroeconomics Meetings, Econometric Society Summer Meetings, International Economics Association World Congress, Society for Economic Design Meetings, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
2010: Middle East Economic Association Meetings, Winter Workshop in Macroeconomics at Koç University, University of Miami, Midwest Macro Meetings.
2009: Winter Workshop in Macroeconomics at Koc University, North American Summer Meetings of the Econometric Society.
2008: North American Summer Meetings of the Econometric Society, Society for Economic Design Meetings, Florida Atlantic University, University of Miami.
2007: Midwest Economic Theory Meetings, North American Summer Meetings of the Econometric Society.
2006: Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, University of Minnesota, University of London, University of Miami, Lewis and Clark College, IZA, IMF.
Proficient in programming with Mathematica, Matlab, C++, Stata, SPPS, Eviews.
Document preparation: LaTeX, Beamer, MS Office, TextPad.
Undergraduate: Principles of Macroeconomics, Macroeconomic Theory, International Economics, Microeconomics for Business, Macroeconomics for Business
Graduate: Theory of International Trade and Finance (Ph.D. course), Macroeconomic Theory (Ph.D. course), Economics for Managers (Executive MBA course).
At Özyeğin University:
Presentation on “What Economists Do” on Career Days at Robert College, ITU Elginkan Lisesi, Koc Lisesi.
Organizer of the All-Istanbul Economics Workshop, 2016.
At University of Southern California:
Organizer of the weekly workshop in International Trade and Macroeconomics, 2014.
At University of Miami:
Macroeconomic Theory preliminary exam review committee.
Junior faculty hiring committee.
Ph.D. student recruitment committee.
Organizer and host of the weekly departmental seminar series.